DClinPsy., Registered Psychologist (AB)
Prior to embarking on a career in psychology, I trained as a Registered General Nurse (RGN) in England. After completing a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology at the University of Plymouth (UK), I trained as a Clinical Psychologist and graduated from the University of Exeter (UK) with a Doctorate in Clinical and Community Psychology in 2000.
Having worked as a psychologist in the UK, I relocated to New Zealand and progressed to the role of Senior Psychologist with the New Zealand Department of Corrections’ Psychological Service. In this role, I developed skills in comprehensive risk assessment and the treatment of High-Risk/High-Profile Offenders. I have experience preparing Court ordered reports (including the New Zealand Supreme Court) and have appeared as expert witness. I have participated on both regional and national working parties; delivered national and regional training; and conducted research (presenting the results at a national level). I have specific training in the provision of supervision and enjoyed supervising Intern Clinical Psychologists, Clinical Psychologists, Group Facilitators, and Senior Probation Officers in New Zealand.
The focus of my practice changed after immigrating to Canada. Initially, I worked with clients who presented with chronic pain and the psychological sequelae of work-related injury (with a view to supporting a functional return to work). I then formally assessed individuals following significant physical injury to determine their post-injury employability potential. In addition, I have worked as a Psychological Consultant providing opinion and recommendations for claim management, as well as crisis response and management. Currently, I maintain a private practice.
I am a registered with, or a member of, the following professional organizations and associations:
- College of Alberta Psychologists (CAP) – #3473. I am currently an examiner for the College (appointed to the Oral Examinations Committee).
- Psychologists’ Association of Alberta (PAA).
- Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) – Clinical Psychology Section & Health Psychology Section.
- Canadian Federation of Clinical Hypnosis (CFCH-Alberta Society).
- Trichotillomania Learning Centre (TLC).
- Canadian Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviours Support Network (CBFN).
- International OCD Foundation (IOCDF).
- New Zealand Psychologists Board (NZPB).